Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Problems create opportunity for learning.

Being fairly new to the whole teacher gig, I am amazed by the things that students do each day. I currently have 35 students that are enrolled in my Data Management course. This course is not designed for IT people, but for all business majors. I have had students tell me throughout this course both this semester and last they are "not computer people" and that the "computer hates them". However, I think that it is these people that are learning more in the course. These people spend more time and are much more involved in the course than the student who just sits back and either skips things that they don't know or understand. These students, while they may break more things with their assignments, will be the people that will remember many of these things years after they have taken the course. While the student may get frustrated with it, I love when they have problems and want to fix them. It creates such a great opportunity for them to better grasp a concept or to fully teach them more about the functionality of the application.

Anyway, I thought it was something I wanted to write down as I go through this experience. Back to answering questions.

1 comment:

Mark said...

It's true that you really do get out of classes what you put into them.